Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Frozen Yogurt VS. Ice Cream


"We scream for ice cream!" That's what everyone used to say on a hot sizzling day. It has been sunny these days and that can make a person easily irritated. But I know where I can count on to make my frown into a smile. "Yogur-lee-hee," is a frozen yogurt shop. Not only do they sell frozen yogurt, but they also sell delicious bubble tea and smoothies. “Coldstone,” which is an ice cream shop is their next door neighbor. These two can be competition but lately I have seen more and more customers lined up in Yogur-lee-hee. Here are some examples why I believe that is so. According to wise geek, "yogurt contains enzymes that assist in breaking down dairy, allowing many people with lactose intolerance to ingest yogurt and frozen yogurt with little or no ill effects. Yogurt also tends to have high levels of protein and many important minerals." To be honest, I don't have my required amount of Vitamin D every day. But I found that frozen yogurt has a excellent source of calcium! For adult women and the elderly, an 8 oz. serving of low calorie non-fat yogurt provides nearly half the daily calcium needed. All this for as little as 160 calories! Coldstone's 8 oz. Amaretto ice cream has 530 calories! Now, which would you prefer? Moreover, the amount of lactose present in frozen yogurt is more digestible as compared to the lactose present in ice creams. I have a lactose and tolerant friend who couldn't enjoy frozen dairy products, like ice cream. But after I told took her to Yogur-lee-hee, she can enjoy her treat with a happy stomach.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE frozen yogurt! There is this place in the Highlands called Yoforia that my friends and I go to after dance class or just for a treat. It is sooo good. You can get a variety of different flavors and put different toppings on them like fruit, granola, and they also have some goodies like gummy bears and chocolate chips. I have not been to Yogur-lee-hee or Yogurberry yet. I want to try both of them!

    ReplyDelete